Q: What home maintenance things should I be doing in the springtime?
You’re right that spring is the time to be working around the house, inside and outside. Here’s a checklist of things that you should be working on to prepare for the year ahead.
- · Clean the gutters and check for any leaky or loose areas.
- · Check the siding for missing or peeling paint and repair. Also check siding for any damage that may have occurred over the winter.
- · Trim shrubs and trees away from the house to preserve the siding and roof.
- · Rake up any leaves from last fall. Pull up weeds and dead plants from last season.
- · Check your roof for any missing shingles that may have been lost during winter. Have a qualified roofer check the flashing around plumbing vents, skylights and chimneys and repair if necessary.
- · Remove any firewood stored near your home so that it is at least 18 inches off the ground and at least 2 feet from the house.
- · Check your outdoor faucets for freeze damage.
- · Have the air conditioning unit cleaned, inspected and tuned up for the hot days ahead.
- · Check your gas- and battery-powered lawn equipment to ensure that it’s ready for spring and summer use. Tune up the lawn mower and have the blades sharpened.
- · Examine the house’s foundation for any cracks and caulk or call a foundation specialist for more permanent repairs.
- · Pressure-wash your home to remove dirt, mold and stains from the siding, deck and patio.
- · Repair cracked sidewalks and driveways.
- · Inspect your deck and reseal if necessary. Also check for and fix any loose railings and decay.
- · Check and clean the dryer vent.
- · Check windows and doors for air and water leaks and fill or repair.
- · Check your cracks and gaps where insects or mice can get into your home, and fill these areas.
- · Check faucets and plumbing for leaks and repair or replace any leaky pipes or faucets.
- · Check tiles and grout for cracks and reseal any areas where cracking occurs.
- · Clean the windows and screens inside and out.
- · If you don’t have central air conditioning, then spring is the time to reinstall window AC units.
- · Vacuum your refrigerator coils so the fridge operates at top efficiency.
- · Replace batteries in smoke detectors.
- · Drain your water heater.